Premarital Classes are open to pre-engaged couples, recently engaged couples, and newly weds in their first two years of marriage.
Class Days: Sunday Mornings
Class Time: 9:30 a.m.- 10:30 a.m.
Location: Shield of Faith Baptist Church
(1134 Northeast 20th Street, Oklahoma City OK, 73111)
Classes are scheduled as needed.
Premarital Counseling Benefits
- There is no charge for the premarital counseling course.
- Couples who received premarital counseling have a much lower rate of divorce. (This is because they worked out their differences in calm and neutral setting before the actual situations arise.
- Couples who actively practice a religion together and pray on a daily basis have a much lower divorce rate, which is estimated at around 1-2% .
- This premarital counseling course entities couples a reduced marriage license fee of $5.00 by the State of Oklahoma.
- Attend ALL 7 hours of marriage classes together as a couple. Course will be 7 sessions, although some couples may need additional counseling outside of the course of study prescribed.
- Agree to attend a local church together of the couple’s choice regularly while attending marriage classes together.
- Complete and sign the Pastoral Counseling Ministry Notification Form
- Complete Premarital Counseling Survey.
- Complete ALL assigned homework BEFORE the next session.
- We ask you to help support this ministry, based upon your abilities, through donations while you are receiving counseling. Please make your checks payable to Shield of Faith Baptist Church. (There is no charge for the premarital counseling course).
- Agree to abide by Shield of Faith Baptist Church”s sanctuary use requirements.
- No Smoking or Drinking on the premise.
- No profane language.
- Note: Only biblical representations or definition of marriage will be allowed.
Today 50% of couples who eventually marry will live together before saying, “I do.” While cohabitation seems to make sense from a human standpoint, especially in our culture of divorce, at the end of the day it doesn’t work.
- In the United States and in the UK, couples who live together are at a greater risk for divorce than non-cohabiting couples.
- Couples who lived together before marriage tend to divorce early in their marriage.
- If their marriage last seven years, then their risk for divorce is the same as couples who didn’t cohabit before marriage.
Births outside of Wedlock
- Nearly 40 percent of babies born in the United States in 2007 were delivered by unwed mothers, according to data released by the National Center for Health Statistics.
- The 1.7 million out-of-wedlock births, of 4.3 million total births, marked a more than 25 percent jump from five years before.
- The average cost of an American wedding in 2009 according to BRIDAL ASSOCIATION OF AMERICA was approximately $30,000.00 to $70,000.00.
- If couples don’t have savings to cover the cost, the couple will likely begin their marriage in debt.